Game Reviews XBox 360 Aphelion (Xbox 360)

Aphelion (Xbox 360)

Aphelion (Xbox 360) Hot

Editor rating

User rating

0.0 (0)

Accessibility At A Glance Aphelion (Xbox 360)

Precision > No You will NOT need precision to play
One-Handed > Yes One-Handed gamers shoud be okay
Deaf Gamers > Yes You should have no issues with this game
Subtitles > Mostly Character text is present but not ambiant
Colorblind > Yes Colorblind gamers should be okay

About the Game

Class
Indie
Genre
Maker
Lunatic Studios
Release Date
July 01, 2010
Multi-player
Yes

Aphelion-banner

Some time ago, I downloaded an indie game named Aphelion off of Xbox Live, reasoning that it was only 240 points ($3) – why not take the chance? However, I never actually got around to playing it until recently, when I realized that it's an exceptionally accessible game.

Image Gallery

Aphelion (Xbox 360)
Aphelion (Xbox 360)
Aphelion (Xbox 360)

Editor review

Aphelion (Xbox 360) 2012-08-31 20:42:34 Scott Puckett
Overall rating 

Mobility 

Visual 

Hearing 

Scott Puckett Reviewed by Scott Puckett    August 31, 2012
Last updated: September 01, 2012
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

Aphelion

Some time ago, I downloaded an indie game named Aphelion off of Xbox Live, reasoning that it was only 240 points ($3) – why not take the chance? However, I never actually got around to playing it until recently, when I realized that it's an exceptionally accessible game.

Aphelion is a very traditional role-playing game in a science fiction setting. Players add party members, improve skills, loot chests and fight opponents in the larger context of a war in space. So far, it probably doesn't sound especially exciting – the system isn't much different than old Bard's Tale or Pool Of Radiance games. And while the writing isn't the greatest and the story is largely present to explain why players are in combat and move them to the next goal, that doesn't mean the game isn't enjoyable for people who appreciated older, party-based RPGs.

Accessibility Issues / Concerns:

Besides the cost, here are the reasons disabled gamers should consider downloading Aphelion:
? Turn-based combat
? No voice-over or sounds indicating meaning
? No precision required
? No complex timing or command sequences
? Incredibly limited use of color for meaning – locked doors have a red light, while doors that players can open have a green light
And really, it's exactly that simple. There's no reason to elaborate on the accessibility accommodations in it because they're exactly what most of us would like to see, almost as if the developer looked into accessibility for gaming before starting development and decided to make it as accessible as possible.

This is not to say that Aphelion is perfect – in one stage, players have to navigate through what looks like smoke from fighting. The smoke obscures a good portion of the screen, but it does not prevent people from moving forward. Likewise, players have to reach a save point and must manually save the game. There doesn't appear to be any form of autosave, nor does there appear to be a save on demand feature.

Review Hardware:
Xbox 360 Slim Console
32” LCD HDTV w/HDMI cables
Razer Onza Tournament Edition gaming controller

Accessibility Scores:
Mobility: 9
Visual: 8
Hearing: 10

Original Purchase Price: 240 MS points ($3)

Recommended Purchase Price: 240 MS points ($3)

At A Glance:

Precision: Combat is turn based. There are no complex commands. There is no aiming or targeting. Players don't need to jump and they can't fall off of walkways or cliffs. Recommend rating of 10 out of 10.

Deaf Gamers: All content is provided in text on screen. There is no voice-over track. Recommend rating of 10 out of 10.

One-handed: Combat is turn based, and doesn't require aiming. There are no command sequences which require use of more than one hand. While there doesn't seem to be a way to remap the controller and there only seems to be one controller option, gamers with use of only one hand will not be hindered. Recommend rating of 10 out of 10.

Subtitles: The subtitles are in a stylized font and are not always easy to read, but that's a small concern. Recommend rating of 8 out of 10.

Color Blind: There is limited use of color for meaning, but it appears to be largely limited to showing whether a door is locked. As a workaround, players can activate the door and proceed through it if it opens. If it remains closed, the door is obviously locked. Recommend rating of 9 out of 10.

Checkpoint / Save System: The one accessibility failing that Aphelion has is its save system. Players must reach a save point and manually save. There doesn't appear to be any form of auto-save or save-on-demand feature included. Recommend rating of 3 out of 10.

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.

To write a review please register or log in.